The Most Egg-cellent Sandwich
- 2 slices (75 g) Wonder+ Headstart 100% Whole Wheat Bread
- 1 Omega-3 egg, hard-cooked, peeled and coarsely chopped*
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) diced celery
- 1 tsp (5 mL) low fat mayo
- 1 tsp (5 mL) sweet pickle relish
- 1 leaf iceberg lettuce, rinsed and dried, shredded
Up the Nutrients
- When picking lettuce, skip the iceberg and pick a dark green lettuce like romaine, leaf, or baby spinach. Darker greens provide more nutrition and better defense against disease.
- Combine coarsely chopped egg*, diced celery, mayo, and pickle relish and mix in a small bowl.
- If using the lettuce: tear leaf in half and place one of the halves on top of the bread. Spread egg mixture evenly on top. Place the remaining leaf of lettuce on top of egg mixture. Place second slice of bread on top, gently press down, and cut in half.
- If not using the lettuce: spread egg mixture evenly on the bread. Top with second slice of bread, gently press down, and cut in half.
*How to hard cook an egg
Place cold eggs in a single layer in a saucepan. Cover with at least 1 inch (2.5 cm) cold water over top of the eggs. Cover saucepan and bring quickly to a boil over a high heat. Immediately remove pan from heat to stop boiling. Let eggs stand in water for 18 to 23 minutes. Drain water and immediately run cold water over eggs until cooled, store unshelled in fridge for up to 5 days.