Grilled Cheese & Tomato Soup Bake
Serves 6 / 35 mins
When you're short on time but want to get the perfect lunchtime pairing on the table, this super quick kid-friendly recipe is an easy must try.
- 12 slices Wonder® White Texas Toast Bread
- 3 ounces cream cheese
- 1-½ tsp. dried basil, divided
- 6 slices part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 6 tbsp. butter, softened
- ½ cup tomato paste
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- 1-¾ cups 2% milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup shredded Italian cheese blend or part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Additional marinara sauce, warmed, optional
Prep Time: 5 minutes | Cook Time: 30 minutes | Total Time: 35 minutes
- Preheat oven to 350°F. In a small bowl, mix cream cheese and 1 teaspoon basil until blended; spread onto 6 bread slices. Top with the mozzarella cheese and remaining bread. Spread outsides of sandwiches with butter. Arrange in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish.
- In a small saucepan, combine tomato paste, garlic, salt, pepper and remaining basil; cook and stir over medium heat for 1 minute. Gradually whisk in milk; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 4-5 minutes or until thickened, stirring frequently. Remove from heat. #Parenttip Save time with canned soup as an alternative.
- Whisk eggs in a large bowl; gradually whisk in a third of the milk mixture. Stir in the remaining milk mixture; pour over the sandwiches. Sprinkle with cheese blend.
- Bake, uncovered, 25-30 minutes or until golden brown and cheese is melted. Let stand at least 10 minutes until cool before plating.